Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Quarter I Drank Beer


Got an unofficial copy of my transcript today. I'm paging through it in the parking lot of the college and just shaking my head. It's been at least 15 years since I've looked at it, and I'm thinking that it could be another 15 before I look at it again. God, what an abysmal representation of who I am or what I could accomplish. I'm looking at the quarters going "that must have been the one I drank beer all quarter." "No, wait, maybe I drank beer this quarter, too." "Did I spend an entire year in a bar?" My inner demon gleefully reminds me that I was much more interested in getting laid and drinking beer than studying for a Shakespeare exam. I did manage to pull my head out of my ass the last few quarters and come out with a somewhat respectable average, but jeez, what the hell was I thinking?

I was thinking about getting laid and drinking beer, and not necessarily in that order, is what I was thinking.

I remember getting irritated in some of my education classes with women who were returning to college to finish degrees after the kiddies were in school. Most of the education classes focused on K-6 educators, and those of us who were in secondary education were sort of the red-headed stepchildren. Every once in a great while, we'd have to take general education classes with the elementary majors, and invariably, they would make the rest of us look bad because they were showing up with incredible projects...projects that they had crafted at home on their dining room tables while we were relegated to our shabby little dorm rooms. And they spent hours on these things...unlike the rest of us who were busy trying to get laid and drink beer.

So, I guess I'll be one of those women with the dining room tables now. I still like to get laid and drink beer, but those activities aren't as high on the list as they used to be...this going back to school business is going to be extremely weird.

No comments: