Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Falling off the fence


We survived the holiday weekend...long it was, with 2 10-hour drives in 4 days...thank heavens for cruise control...except in WV. There are not 2 feet of straight road in a line in West By God Virginia. Add in the dark, sleety/snowy/slushy stuff from the sky, and all the speeding morons in Giant SUVs from NC who fled to find jobs but come home for Turkey Day into the mix, and you too can have the fun drive we had on Wednesday evening. I was extremely gratified to see one pulled over by the local law enforcement after he had tailgated me and passed me practically in my lane at a high rate of speed. Sometimes, your karma does rise up and bite you on the ass.

Anyway, while we were visiting the in-laws, each and every one of them asked when I was starting culinary school. The Man has been busy spreading his own little brand of career counseling, hasn't he? He thinks I should chunk it all and go to culinary school and become a personal chef. While it is very flattering to know that someone believes that much in you, it's also a little daunting and scary at the same time. Not that I had a complete career path laid out or anything, but I definitely did not envision myself essentially starting my whole life over as a mid-life crisis. For one thing, I have the red convertible already; have had it for almost 10 years, plus my new cute Bug, so I guess all I need is a cute gardener boy or a hot pool boy (but that's a whole 'nuther post!).

He does have a good point that it puts me in total control of my destiny (rats! no Powers That Be to blame things on any more), and it sort of ensures that I wouldn't be laid off again. From what I can research online, it seems that personal "cheffing" is a growth industry, so there might be some gold in that there saute pan...or it might be lead. He's been pushing this for awhile, and yesterday, I finally fell off the fence and called the Atlanta Art Institute to make an appointment with an admissions counselor. It's tomorrow at 11 am...the first day of the rest of my life. I'm scared, but excited...sort of like sex with the new person, isn't it? : )

No comments: