Monday, January 23, 2006

Sanitize Me!



Class is finally kicking it up a notch (sorry 'bout that!). We're moving on into food safety/sanitation now, and it oughta get pretty juicy. I figure this will be quarter I can actually kick off a weightloss plan, because by the time we're finished going through all this stuff and get the lecture by the health department inspection, there won't be any place left in town that I would feel comfortable eating.

Plus, there's all this crap that I didn't know about food poisoning before, and I'm not sure I like knowing about it now! Did you know that you can get food poisoning from fish that you can't see or smell, or that freezing or cooking won't kill? There's this nasty little thing called ciguatera poisoning, which comes from eating contaminated tropical reef fish like amberjack, barracuda, grouper and snapper. Not that I would really want to eat a barracuda, because it just looks like it would taste icky and be too damn boney to be worth the effort. Anyway, you can't see it, smell it, or taste it, and it's not destroyed by cooking...it's like a cockroach. Which, speaking of la cucarachas, we're going to have a guest lecture by the pest control guy, too. Yummy.

No comments: