Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day 1, 437 of Confinement

Okay, maybe I am exaggerating just a wee bit, but it really does feel like I've been a prisoner in my own house forever. Now, I have made some forays out and about, and I have overdid it a time or two and felt kind of achy, but for the most part, this hysterectomy thing has been a breeze. Granted, I had the laproscopic kind, which doesn't involve major invasive abdominal surgery, but I seriously thought I would still be feeling badly.

Feeling good can be a two-edged sword, because it makes you think you are completely healed, so therefore you go off and do too much or stupid stuff and manage to hurt yourself. I have been a bit achy since the weekend, which was my first time out of the house in over10 days...we went to lunch and Target. Of course, I had to look at everything in Target...it had been days, days, people!, since I had been there. There were Christmas things starting to come out. I got the coolest blown-glass Spider-Man ornament, as well as a blown-glass Tinker Bell. (You know you have to get them when you see them, because they go fast!!) (See, isn't he cool? He's upside down!) (And, I know it's not even Halloween yet, and there's Christmas crap everywhere, and I try to take a stand every year that I will not buy anything from any store's holiday display until AFTER Halloween, and every year, I trip all over that stand when I see something as cool as this...doomed I am, just doomed. I should just embrace it and let it go...)

I've been working from home for the last 2 days, and it was just like old times in the previous job. I had forgotten how nice it is to sit around in an old t-shirt and some yoga pants and slipper socks...no hair fussing, no make up, and I can get some poodle time in as well. Best of all? No freakin' traffic!!!

The poodles seem to be glad I am home and catering to most of their whims. They aren't particularly thrilled that I'm starting to bang on the laptop at the kitchen table during the day rather than lay on the couch, petting them, and screaming at Sandra Lee...OMG, I watched her Halloween Special...the one where she starts out as Marilyn Monroe's Lorelei Lee, progresses to Cleopatra, and ends with Audrey Hepburn's Holly Golightly. You just know that both Audrey and Truman Capote are just rolling over in their proverbial graves at this travesty. Cleopatra is probably wondering how she can get an asp FedExed to Miz Lee. And, I can't even talk about her Lorelei imitation, because I so love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. See why I had to leave the house on Saturday? Why I needed to hit Target? Bleach for the eyes, people, bleach!!

So, I leave you with this memorable (sort of) quote from Marilyn as Lorelei:

"Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl who can actually cook? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she can cook, but my goodness, doesn't it help?"

"Because a spaaaatulaaaaa is a girl's best friend!"


Hee hee!

2 comments:

LinC said...

Great Spidey ornament! I shall have to toddle down to Target myself. It's a bit too early for Christmas, but you have to get start somewhere or you'll never catch up.

Erin said...

Glad to hear that you're healing nicely - my laparoscopy was no fun. Hope you feel better soon. Don't torture yourself with too much Sandra Lee - watch a little Alton Brown or Anthony Bourdain as a respite!