Friday, November 04, 2005

Wallbanger, Baby!


I've gotten it into my head that I should practice making cakes...not that I'm getting a head start on the cake and the icings I have to make for class on Tuesday...that would be waaaay too organized. So, for some reason, I get a craving for a Harvey Wallbanger Cake...don't ask why, because it's probably rooted in some deep psychological something.

I go on the search for Galliano, because who the hell keeps that around the house?, but it is an integral part of the wall banging. And, I discover that we are seriously bereft of liquor stores in this town. There were at least 4 that I knew about when we moved here, and now I only know of 2...sometimes living in the Bible Belt has its major drawbacks.

So, I track down the Galliano...and I'm thinking what the hell else does one make with Galliano besides Harvey Wallbangers and Harvey Wallbanger cakes? And, what exactly is Galliano? Animal, vegetable, or cocktail mixer?

Thank god for Google...I honestly don't have a clue how the Earth manages to turn on its axis if it weren't for Google.

Justdrinkrecipes.com has 119 recipes for drinks with Galliano...who knew? Here's a sampling:

Apollo 13

dash Grenadine
2 oz Cream
1/2 oz Galliano
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
2 oz Bacardi Light Rum

Shake with cracked ice and strain into a 5 oz champagne glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Back Burner

2 oz Jose Cuervo Tequila
0.5 oz Galliano
4 oz Cold Hot Chocolate

Fill a shaker half full with ice cubes. Pour all ingredients into shaker and shake well. Fill an Irish Coffee glass almost full of crushed ice, and strain drink into Irish Coffee glass.

The reason we're writing this entry:

Harvey Wallbanger

1 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Galliano
4 oz Orange Juice

Pour vodka and orange juice into a Collins glass over ice cubes and stir. Float Galliano on top and serve.

And Harvey's bad boy cousin:

Harvey Wallpaper Hanger

4 oz Vodka
1 oz Galliano

Pour ingredients into Collins glass over ice, being sure to skip the O.J.

Straight Galliano also tastes like cough syrup...expensive cough syrup. Just thought you'd like to know.

Cake turned out fine. Managed to sling the glaze all over the place, which excited the poodle crew to no end. The Man has eaten at least 2 pieces, so I guess it's got his stamp of approval. The poodles are pissed because, as usual, we've neglected to give them their rightful portion. All in all, not a bad day.

No comments: